As Seen On The Bathroom Wall

The best ideas come while sitting on the pot.

Martin Niemöller

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.



















A simple thing, friendship. Simple in that it can be created in the blink of an eye. One minute, you're strangers, the next, you're sharing your deepest secrets.

Far more complex is the end of a friendship.

Often, it simply dies. Quick, slow, the deaths occur either way.

But, there are the rare occasions when you discover that there is no death, for that which does not exist cannot die.

What then, can one do when someone you thought was a friend, chooses to slice you to the core? Betray you with confidences once entrusted to them? Flaunt said confidences? Out of spite? Vindictiveness? Show no remorse? Laugh?

Moreover, what do you do when those around you witness such events, and choose to turn a blind eye? Their voices silent, while you weep? Those who would call you friend in the shadows, but not in the light?

The herd is thinning. Who will the wolf eat, once she's picked off all of the other sheep?

When they came for you, there will be no one left to speak out.

Aloha!

4 Comments:

  1. Christina M. said...
    Shar this is great.
    Anonymous said...
    You do have a way with words and you hit the nail on the head with this post.
    Anonymous said...
    I had to come back again to this post. One more time.
    Colette S said...
    My supervisor did this to me. I don't make the mistake twice of trusting anyone......not anymore.

    She was a Christian too you know....I felt kinship and that it was ok to trust her. She did this: "chooses to slice you to the core? Betray you with confidences once entrusted to them? Flaunt said confidences? Out of spite? Vindictiveness? Show no remorse? Laugh?"

    That pain never leaves you.

Post a Comment